Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 9 - Education Part One

Today I received an invitation in the mail to attend the annual Lenten evening of reflection at my high school; it made me stop and think how thankful I am for my high school. Not only was my experience while I was a student amazing, but then MSM was also an incredible place for me to work for three years.

When I think of high school, I immediately think of my friends. I am very lucky and beyond thankful that a number of my best friends have been my friends since high school; we define knowing each other through thick and thin.

To illustrate...below is a picture from our 10 year high school reunion, and I am working on uploading one from high school as well...with these same fine ladies in it. :)



I could go on and on about my friends, but I did that yesterday and will no doubt do it again in some form or fashion during Lent...but...today is an expression of thankfulness for the actual institution that educated me during the high school years (hence the education part one title...part two will serve to honor and give thanks for the home of the wahoos!!)



Mount St. Mary Academy was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1851 and is the oldest school in continuous operation in the state! The Sisters of Mercy were and continue to be very forward in their thinking, and it shows in the school. The Sisters are big believers in the education of women and advocate strongly for the rights and dignity of all. MSM is unique given that it is the only all-girls school in the state of Arkansas, and while it is a private school the classes are rather large - I graduated with 140 (give or take; I cannot remember the exact number) young women.

Given its age, it is no surprise that the school is rich in tradition, and the tradition is what makes us Belles stand apart. (Yes, MSM's mascot is the "belle." I just love it; I always have thought of myself as a Southern belle, and I have the school t-shirts and sweatshirts to prove it.) I loved all the rituals at the school and the sense of sisterhood that came with such a long-standing institution.

Anyhoo, I received a wonderful "book" education, but more importantly I believe I received a wonderful "life" education. The confidence gained in an all-girls environment during the formative teen years was priceless, and the opportunities the setting gave me were immense - still are today. Very, very thankful indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment